Savory Meatball Beef Soup
A delicious, sweet & savory soup with winter vegetables. The bite size meatballs are baked first to lock in the flavor.
Beef Marrow Bone Broth
- 2-3 large beef marrow bones
- 4-5 cloves garlic, whole but pressed with knife blade to break
- all tops whole bunch of celery (cut about 3 inches off the bunch))
- 1 small onion, halved, or a bunch of leekgreen tops
- 1 whole hot red pepper, dried is fine
- 1 handful garden thyme, basil, oregano, parsley
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 5 whole bay leaves
- water to high line to cover
- 1/2 - 1 whole butternut, about 3 cups, peeled and cubed
- 1 whole small celery bunch, bottom half, washed, and sliced
- 12 small red new potatoes, washed and halved or quartered
- 1 cup long grain or basamati brown rice
- 1 cup dehydrated cherry tomatoes, Sungold are best
- 1 cup dehydrated zucchini chips
- Marrow broth
Savory Baked Meatballs
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tblspn dried sweet basil (more if fresh)
- 1 tblspn dried majoram
- 1/2 tblspn dried oregano
- 2 eggs, beaten slightly
- 1/3 cup cream sherry
- 1 tablspn pink, or other sea salt
- 1 tablspn fresh ground black pepper
- 60 small baked meatballs
- 1 cup cream sherry
Making Marrowbone Broth
Put marrow bones, and all other ingredients in a 10 qt pressure cooker, cover with water & close. Pressure cook on medium for 1 hour. Allow to cool to depressurize pot. Strain broth. Compost, give to chickens, or dispose of the rest of the broth ingredients. Give the bones to your dogs if you do that. I don't. They will puke for days.
Making the Soup
Return all the broth to the pressure cooker. Add all the remaining soup ingredients EXCEPT the meatballs. Cover and pressure cook on medium for 8 minutes. Carefully exhaust the pot to open, so not to overcook the soup.
Savory Baked Meatballs
Heat oven to 425°. In a medium mixing bowl, add all ingredients to the beef, & mix well until everything is absorbed. Shape small bite size meatballs using a small scoop or large size melon baller. Line a med-large baking sheet with parchment paper, and place rolled meatballs evenly on baking sheet. Bake in 425° oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
Finishing the Meatball Soup
Open the pressure cooker that contains the cooked broth and vegetables. Stir in salt, pepper, & cream sherry. Add baked, hot meatballs, and stir them in gently. Serve immediately.